30 December 2015

THE BEST AND THE WORST 2015


I can't believe we are at the end of 2015! - My little blog is only 6 months old and still slowly growing. Over this time I've had some fab opportunities and tested out some great products. I've also discovered lots of new products that I've fallen in love with.

As we get ready to raise a glass and enter 2016 I thought I would take this opportunity to let you all know my favourite products and pieces from this year - and some that won't be coming into the new year with me!

THE GOOD

Soap & Glory Hand Food - I was bought this as a gift for my birthday and love it so much. It smells sweet but not overpowering and keeps your hand soft. It also sinks into the skin really quickly so you can apply it wherever/whenever without getting sticky marks over everything.

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara - I invested in the waterproof version of this mascara for our holiday as we were planning on going to a water park - check out the how waterproof is your mascara post here - and completely fell for it. I have since replaced this with the non-waterproof version pictured and still feel the same. The brush boosts lashes and coats evenly without any effort whatsoever!

Rimmel Scandaleyes Liner - This year I started a search for the perfect eyeliner - for useless eye liners like me - and only a few months ago I came across Rimmel's Scandaleyes. The liquid liner has a solid, pointed nib which makes basic lines and cat eyes easy peasy! Even for someone like me! Plus the drugstore price tag of £5 doesn't hurt either.

Lush BIG Shampoo - I attended a Lush event a few weeks ago and one of my goodies was the BIG hair shampoo. I wasn't really sure what to expect as I've never really thought about getting the Lush shampoo's and conditioners but I was really impressed with this one. The sea salt within exfoliates the scalp and encourages growth and also gives you a little extra massage. It lathers really well and a small scoop is more than enough. I've not heard great things about the bar conditioner so I currently use mine with Tigi S Factor Conditioner.



...AND THE BAD

Ok, so not actually BAD but extremely disappointing. I've been quite fortunate this year that I have loved MOSTLY everything I have tried out and even the things I didn't really like, there is a reason for it.

GHD Curve Wave Wand - I was really gutted about this wand especially for the high end price of the product (£120 when I purchased it!) I love GHD and have used their straightners for 10 years...and would never think about swapping them.
The wand is easy to use - I would definitely recommend getting the finger glove as I burnt my fingers once or twice - and does what it says on the tin but I found the end results weren't that impressive and a little flat. Although I think the main issues are down to the fact I have short and very layered hair I think you could probably get the same results from a less expensive brand.

Bourjois Blush - I bought this blusher for a holiday in September as I couldn't get my hands on anymore of my Benefit blush I was using previously. My first impression were great and I was more than happy with the colour/texture/product. It wasn't until a few weeks of using it that I realised the colour wasn't picking up properly. It turns out the blush has developed a "hardened layer" on top that I had to scrape off to get any colour.
This seems like a bit of a pain and affects the coverage to make the blush a bit patchy.

Maybelline Gel Liner - On my search for an easier eye liner tool I thought I would try a gel liner as they are meant to create a smoother line. Unfortunately gel is a little hard to manage when you suck and don't have an overly steady hand. Also, the brush that comes with it isn't great.

What do you think? Have you tried any of these products? Any better alternatives? Let me know :)


6 comments :

  1. Oh YOUR HAIR IN YOUR PROFILE PICTURE IS EVERYTHING I WANT MINE TO BE. So lush.

    Couldn't agree more with the blush...all my Bourjois blushes did the exact same thing. Sticking with MAC from now on!

    xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you hun! I haven't actually had mine done again for around 3 months so it's doing well!
      I'm so glad it isn't just me that thought that about the blush! I'm having a MAC make over in a few weeks so I will be picking one up then! :D

      Delete
  2. I actually really like the Maybelline Gel Liner! x
    www.missamyguest.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's mostly down to my lining skills...I didn't find it easy to use and I thought the brush was a bit rubbish to be used with it. You will have to show me the way! :)

      Delete
  3. I used to use the Scandaleyes liner religiously, but found that it tended to smudge quite easily and I would get it all over my hands just by opening the lid! I gave it up this year and have started using a Bourjois liner that is actually really good! It doesn't smudge, which is a relief. Good luck for 2016.

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you said you liked the Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara or else I think I would have been gutted. It was certainly one of my favourites throughout 2015 and I'm sure I'll continue to love it way in to 2016!

    Kirsty
    http://cosmeticsbeautyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete