6 January 2016

TASTE THE RAINBOW CUPCAKES


I've got a lot of posts with reviews coming up so I thought I would break things up with a little bit of fun. If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you may of seen that last night I decided to test out my Christmas pressies and bake some cakes...but not just ANY cakes, Rainbow cupcakes!


For Christmas you may of seen my boyfriend bought me a complete colour kit and my parents also bought me a fab icing set - both from Lakeland - and I just thought what better way to test these out!

Now, I'd never actually made rainbow cakes before - for some reason colouring is like fairydust in the UK and only a handful of shops sell it - and I haven't actually used food dye since Food Tech class in year 7 (6th grade for my American readers!) so I'm pretty impressed with how they turned out. 

If you are looking for food colouring I couldn't recommend the Colour Right set from Lakeland any higher, you can create so many different colours and it provides a little booklet that helps with the ratio's for all these shades and colours. I also used my piping kit from my Mum and Dad to do the icing. This came with a reusable nylon piping bag which after using plastic ones over the years is a godsend! It was so easy to scoop in the mixture and felt effortless when piping. The nozzles also just slide into the bottom of the nylon bag so no faffing about! You can get the same one here.


Below is the method in my madness just in case you wanted to give them a try.

WHAT YOU NEED
A bowl of "white" cake mix
Rainbow food colouring
6 bowls
Cupcake cases


WHAT TO DO
- Once you have made your cake mix, spoon out evenly into the 6 bowls
- Add your food colouring to the bowls - 1 bowl for red, 1 bowl for orange etc - and mix until colour is even and as desired
- Take your first bowl of colour and spoon in around a teaspoon of mixture from the bowl and into your cases - I found that for the amount of cakes and the cases this was perfect for me but you can adjust accordingly 
- Flatten the mixture with your spoon to create a smooth base that covers the bottom of your case.
- Repeat this with the second bowl of colour on top of the first layer and scoop, flatten and smooth the mix into the case.
- Repeat for the remaining colours.
- Put into the oven for around 20 minutes and leave to cool.
- Top with icing and rainbow sprinkles!


And look how pretty they look inside! - apologies for the photo quality my camera battery died and I couldn't take a better photo - I was actually really impressed with my layers but I have definitely learnt to not load the first couple of layers, my purple, blue and green do seem to be taking over the cake slightly!

Next on my list - OMBRE! :D

What do you think? Will you be giving them a try? If you do make sure to send me a picture or tag me in it! :)


12 comments :

  1. Oh my god, I'm in love! I have the same piping set (although I did just get even bigger nozzles for Christmas - so excited!) but definitely need to get the food colouring! They're so vibrant!
    Laura x FloraLooTwo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pipping set...I think I may actually marry it! They are really vibrant colours especially since they are UK ones too! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I know what I'm buying next paycheck then! x

      Delete
  2. The look amazing and are making me so hungry! I really want to buy the set now and I can't wait to see your ombre cakes next!

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about that! I would definitely recommend the sets! I'm so excited to make the ombre cakes, fingers crossed they turn out well!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, these look yummy!

    www.denajayne.co.uk

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, they were very scrummy!

      Delete
  4. I haven't made rainbow cakes since I was in primary school, thanks for the inspiration to dig my cupcake cases out from the back of the cupboard!

    Back in the day I called them 'splodge cakes' and made them after seeing them on Finger Tips - it turns out they have a website and I can relive my childhood! http://www.fingertipstv.com/ourmakes.php?makeid=191&step=1

    Looking forward to seeing your ombre cakes :D

    Poppy | http://poppyallanorma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made them before! For some reason they tasted even better than usual! Oh my, I'm going to check this out now!! Thank you lovely, I have to try and stop myself from making them yet! :) Thanks for having a stalk! :P

      Delete
  5. Oh my gawwwddd they look absolutely FAB. I love cake. Coloured cakes are even better. *heart eyes emojis*

    Robyn / Phases Of Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look amazing!

    www.jaya-sanghera.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh these look amazing and so yummy!

    Lowenna Christine

    ReplyDelete