19 February 2016

THINGS TO THANK YOUR PARENTS FOR...


Parents are odd things. You spend at least 5 years of your life "hating" them and their mission to ruin your life - probably about 10 for mine, sorry about that - but when push comes to shove, they are always there for you. As you may of read, I have found myself in a sticky situation lately - one of which I couldn't of even started to dig out of without the help of my mum and dad. So I started to think about all the things I never thanked them for.

Our little team of 3 took a knock due to my stroppy teenage self and I'm pretty sure this is the reason it's taken us 10 years to develop a relationship we should of had when I was 15. But even with all this they are still the first people I turn to when it all goes wrong! And you know what, I don't think I've ever thanked them for it. So here it is, my list of things I want to thank my parents for.

For the drops offs, pick ups and general lifts (and the rest which are yet to come!)
Especially the countless taxi runs into town with a car full of pissed up, singing teenage girls. And not forgetting the "I've got on the wrong bus and I'm 20 miles away" phone calls. Does the taxi of Mum and Dad ever expire? I bloody well hope not!

For turning a blind eye to some of the countless "tall tales" I told as a teenager
Oh the amount of time us teenagers spent concocting the perfect, elaborate story to hide the love bite on our neck, the packet of fags in our bag or the reason we suddenly need a suitcase for one night at someone's house. Now we're adults - or at least trying to be! - we full well know our rents knew this was aloud of bullshit. And do you know why...because they used the same excuses 20/30 years before us! I'm not actually sure when it was I stopped using the excuse of a sleepover for underage drinking but thanks for not mentioning it anyway.

For teaching me how to cook (and bake)
Although I didn't do one ounce of cooking when I lived at home - my idea of a gourmet meal was pasta and sauce with a side of pizza! - what they taught me obviously sank in somewhere. I couldn't make such fabulous cakes without my Mum or flip pancakes like a pro without my Dad. And still to this day they are teaching me new things. This weekend my Mum showed me how to make proper gravy - lets not judge, its harder than it looks!

For letting me do it on my own (and bailing me out when I fail miserably)
I'm a stubborn cow sometimes - no idea where I get that from.... - and I have to be able to at least TRY to do something on my own. But when it all goes horribly wrong, no matter how much screaming, shouting and swearing I have done in our lives they are always there to get me back on my feet - even if there is a monotonous "I told you so" implied somewhere along the line.

For giving me the best they could give me
You know what, even though I was a terrible human being back then I don't remember the attitudes. I  only vaguely even remember the arguments - and even then it's only the REALLY bad ones. What I do remember is my Mum making me sausage mash when I was ill. My Dad reading me Brambly Hedge bedtime stories. Taking me on fabulous holidays every year. And always giving me great big cuddles when I've broken down in tear.

For making me who I am today
A sarcastic, stubborn so and so with a great big heart!

PS, this time next week, we will be in our new house!! EEEEEK! I don't know what I'm more excited for, our move or getting back on the blogging bandwagon!




No comments :

Post a Comment